Last night I had dinner at The Harp & Fiddle in Bethesda. Tuesday night they host "The Jam" from 9 pm - 12 am, and any kind of musician can come and jam with the best musicians in town. I heard country, classical, jazz, rock, blues, slow jams, and some intense rock. This place is off the charts. Everybody makes you feel welcomed. Benjie Porecki rocked the keyboards playing every style form steel guitar, to jazz, to Stevie Wonder, you name it! This guy is fantastic and every other musician who took the stage held their own.
The prerequisite to performing is a passion and maybe a few drinks under your belt. Even when I took my turn at singing Nature Boy I could not help but think that the band would make anybody sound great. I love the sense of community among musicians. There was a lot of love in the atmosphere. Lessons learned: Be fearless - its more fun that way!!! I've been singing with light finesse but I also need to work to sing with power and passion. Consistently working out physically and vocally will really help to power up my instruments. Always be prepared to sing. You never know when the opportunity will arise. Carry your keys, and your tunes with you the way you carry your purse. A girl has got to be at the ready!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment