Commitment is a word that I think that needs a lot of practice. Our church is preparing for Commitment Sunday. We recommit every year by renewing our membership. We believe that sometimes, depending on where you are in your personal journey that the level of commitment made to our church can change. So each year you can stay at the same level, recommit at a deeper level, or chose not to commit which is just as important as the other levels. The hope is to encourage a sense of authenticity to service to God and fellowship within this community of believers and to provide space for individuals to reflect on where they are at this time in life.
This exercise has prompted me to look at the commitment I make to myself regarding my love of singing. I am a jazz singer. I love to listen to the different styles of music and reproduce the sounds with my voice. I want to learn new and unique types of chords and master a jazz vocabulary. My struggle is with commitment. Like many other musicians the business of life invades the times that I would practice my craft. Today as I have often done, I re-commitment to the discipline of study and practice of crafting my voice. I find that I am at my most authentic self when I am singing.
No comments:
Post a Comment